Get a Chicago Car Accident Lawyer to Handle Car Wreck Injuries
If you were involved in a Chicago auto accident, you may require the services of a Chicago car accident lawyer. Any auto accident lawyer can tell you that as the third largest city in the U.S., Chicago is home to millions of people and millions of cars, which means that auto accident law firms located in Chicago are likely to get a call everyday about a serious car accident injury.
Everyday people in Chicago use their cars for transportation to and from work, to run errands, for recreation, and everything in between. While cars make our lives easier in many ways, they do so with a high toll. In fact, more than 30,000 people die in car accidents annually in the U.S. and many millions more are injured. The number of car crashes in Chicago in a single day accounts for several hundred accidents alone and car accident attorneys seem to be in short supply.
Accidents range from minor incidents with little or no damage to devastating multi-car collisions with fatalities. Being in an accident is not something most people plan on and the experience can be traumatic if the accident involves injuries. There are many questions that may come to mind. The following includes what Chicago motorists need to know about car accidents and how to handle them. If your questions are not answered here, please do not hesitate to contact one of our Chicago car accident law firms and speak with a car accident attorney to have assist you.
Common Causes of car accidents in Chicago – Locate the best car accident lawyer
Despite there being infinite ways that accidents can be caused, most accidents are caused in a similar manner. In Chicago, where there are millions of drivers on the road as well as pedestrians and cyclists, the chances of being in an accident increase, and because they are in short supply, the need for a good car accident lawyer is even more critical.
According to some experienced Chicago car accident lawyers, some of the most common reasons for car accidents in Illinois and especially the city of Chicago include:
- Distracted Driving – There are three basic types of distracted driving: cognitive, visual, and manual. For the modern driver, there are more distractions than ever. Mobile devices, in particular, are an immense problem and thousands of accidents are caused by drivers speaking or texting on their smartphones. Texting while driving is already one of the leading causes of death amongst teenagers. Technology is not the only problem. Many drivers become distracted on the road with a wide range of activities including eating, grooming, and taking care of children.
- Reckless Driving – Accidents are often the result of reckless driving which includes behaviors such as speeding, aggressive driving, running lights, neglecting to use turn signals, and a many others.
- Fatigue – Nearly everyone is guilty at some point in time of trying to push that last bit to reach their destination or just being tired from a long day. In fact, an estimated 60 percent of adult drivers admit to driving while fatigued. The result is that almost eleven million drivers end up in accidents because they fell asleep at the wheel.
- Driving Under the Influence – Approximately 30 drivers die every day in the U.S. as the result of driving impaired. Driving under the influence is most often alcohol related, but other substances including marijuana, cocaine, and other narcotics are also part of the problem.
- Road Conditions and Weather – When road conditions are rough and the weather is poor, Chicago car accidents skyrocket. This is of particular concern in Chicago where winter is accompanied by icy roads, poor visibility, and snow. These conditions increase the odds that each Illinois car accident is more prone to be more deadly or at least have a higher probability of a car accident injury.
Understanding the reason for car accidents can help drivers prepare to some degree. It is the responsibility of individual drivers to refrain from behaviors such as distracted or reckless driving. Regardless of how careful drivers are or what precautions they take, however, there will always be risk involved while driving.
Our Auto Accident Law Firm Can Provide An Experienced Chicago car accident attorney To Handle Any Critical Car Accident Injuries Case
Certain injuries are common in accidents, especially impact injuries and injuries due to broken glass or sharp objects. The extent of injuries, of course, depends on many factors including the severity of the accident, whether seat belts were being worn, the speed at which the impact occurred, and a variety of other factors. We have Chicago based car accident injury law firms can provide assistance.
Based on data, recent car accidents in Chicago, when injuries are involved in car accidents, usually include the following:
- Scrapes and cuts – In car accidents the potential for scrapes and cuts are high due to the number of loose objects that might fly loose during an impact. Scrapes and cuts not only come from shattered glass, but also objects as varied as cell phones, glasses, purses, and any other objects in the car. While some of these injuries may be minor, others may lead to significant blood loss or require stitches.
- Head and neck injuries – Some of the most frequent injuries in car accidents are head and neck-related. These can take place with sudden movements or impacts that strain the muscles. Damage may range from relatively minor injuries to the serious impacts that lead to brain damage. In fact, motor vehicle crashes account for 14 percent of new traumatic brain injuries.
- Back and spine injuries – Back and spinal injuries are also frequent in car accidents, ranging from herniated disks to paralysis from spinal damage. Accident victims could experience tingling sensations or numbness, muscle weakness, and acute pain.
- Soft Tissue Injuries – In low-impact collisions, soft tissue injuries, those affecting the muscles, tendons, and ligaments, happen frequently and include whiplash type injuries. These type of injuries are generally not visible (A qualified auto injury attorney can help gather facts related to the accident and will have resources to help prove your case), but victims may experience symptoms such as headaches, tingling, tension, blurry vision, and nausea.
Treatment for car accident injuries range from basic first aid to surgeries and long-term physical therapy. Even when no major injuries are apparent, it is important to seek a medical evaluation as soon as possible to make sure all possible injuries are addressed. Especially for high impact and serious collisions, assuming injury is present until a physician has said otherwise is the best course of action.
If you are injured in an accident that is the fault of another driver, seeking prompt medical attention and documenting treatment is crucial for insurance purposes. Good records will help your case when you hire an auto accident attorney. Injuries that are serious enough may involve not only extended medical bills, but potentially also loss of income, the inability to return to work, and pain and suffering. For serious injuries and filing a claim, consulting with an automobile accident attorney that can fully assess the injuries and their future impact is recommended.
What To Do After A Car Accident – Information That Can Be Helpful To Auto Accident Attorneys
In the immediate aftermath of an accident, regardless of whether it was a simple fender bender or a serious multi-vehicle collision, it is important to follow the proper procedures. Taking the time to carefully document that accident scene and acquire all necessary information will make so much more beneficial for you when filing a claim with your car accident lawyer later. Chicago car accident reports that are filled out with detailed information makes it easier for the auto injury lawyers to get the best settlement for even a minor fender bender car accident in Chicago.
Illinois Car Accidents – Chicago drivers who are in a car accident should make sure to take the following steps:
- Stay calm and stop – Being in an accident can be scary, but getting worked up will only make things worse. If you are in an accident make sure to stop, you should never leave the scene of an accident as this is considered a criminal offense, or hit-and-run.
- Render aid for any injuries –
- Exchange information Before leaving the scene you should get the name and contact information, including phone number and email address, for the other driver, their physical address, the make/model/year of their vehicle, the license plate number, their insurance company and policy number. If there are any passengers involved in the crash or witnesses nearby, it may be useful to get their contact information as well. If an officer is present at the scene, you should also take down their name, badge number, phone number, and police report number. Ensure that all details are correct on the police report and ask the officer for a copy.
- Document the scene – For insurance purposes, it is important to document the scene as much as possible. Taking photos or videos with a mobile phone of the street, the vehicles, any close-ups of damages, and other people involved in the crash will be helpful later on. You may also find it helpful to draw a diagram of the scene and write down everything you remember, doing so will also help the Chicago auto accident attorney that represents you. Remember, the more time passes, the more likely it is that you will forget the exact details of what happened.
- Report the accident – For any car accident in Illinois drivers should follow Illinois laws regarding traffic accidents. This means reporting any vehicle accidents that resulted in bodily injury, death, or property damage greater than $1,500. If you are unable to file a report because of an injury, a passenger may do so or you can do it at a later date. Within 10 days of the accident a report must also be filed with the Illinois Department of Transportation. Not filing a report could result in fines or even jail time.
In the event the accident involves property damage and the owner of the property is not present, for example, hitting a parked car, you are still required to stop and take the appropriate measures. If you are unable to locate the property owner, you must leave your contact details, clearly attached to the damaged property.
A Chicago Car Accident Lawyer Can Help With Legal Questions and Filing Car Accident Claims
When a car accident occurs, many people jump quickly to questions regarding property damage, insurance claims, and financial troubles. For many accidents, there is little question regarding fault and settling with the insurance, albeit a nuisance, is relatively simple. Other accidents, however, the legal questions regarding fault, settlements, injuries, and other complications could come into play and more often than not a car accident injury attorney can be helpful to have “in your corner”.
- Filing a claim – If the accident was a minor one, filing a claim can be relatively simple. The process begins by reporting the accident to your insurance carrier and submitting a claim. Your policy will be reviewed to determine what coverage you have. In more complicated accidents, involving significant damages or injuries, insurance companies normally do an investigation and then send a settlement. Insurance companies typically do their best to minimize the settlement they must pay out so for serious accidents it is prudent to hire a car accident lawyer in Chicago if that is where the accident took place. He can help with negotiations.
- Determining Fault in Illinois – One of the most important legal issues for car accident claims is determining which driver was at fault. A car accident in Chicago Illinois is covered under what is called the “fault” system, where the at-fault driver is responsible for the accident. When both drivers are partially responsible, they may pursue damages against the other driver up to the amount that driver was at fault. For instance, if a case involved two drivers and one was 5 percent at-fault and the other driver was 95 percent at-fault, the former would seek damages for 95 percent from the other driver’s insurance company.This type of system is known as modified comparative negligence. Deciding which driver is negligent depends on a number of factors and the investigation will likely look at whether reckless driving, alcohol, poor road conditions, or any other possible contributors were involved.
- Statute of Limitations – For car accidents, claims can involve personal injury and/or property damage. In Illinois the statute of limitations for personal injury claims is two years, but five years for property damage.
- Proving Injury and Damages – In addition to proving which driver is negligent, any claims for personal injury or property damage must also be proven. Proof of injury is usually given through photographs, medical records, bills, and testimony of physicians. It is best to be meticulous with all documentation, from photographs of the scene to medical bills and any lost income papers from work.
Although a majority of accidents are not serious, when significant property damage or injury occurs, contacting a car accident law firm and speaking with a car accident lawyer may be the right choice.
car accident injury law firm – When To Hire an Attorney
After a car accident, many people wonder whether or not they will need an attorney. Accidents that are relatively minor, such as fender-benders, can be typically straight-forward and can usually be resolved directly through the insurance companies. If your accident involves injuries, fatalities, or heavy property damage, such as broken axles or twisted frames, if it was a car accident in Chicago, then of course, it behooves you to check out auto accident injury lawyers in Chicago to find the best auto crash lawyer that has experience to help.
Chicago car accident lawyers deal with a variety of different fields, including personal injury, wrongful death, property damage, and liability questions. Which type of lawyer you should work with depends on the nature of your claim and details of the accident. If the accident is serious, you should hire a car accident lawyer early on to prevent mistakes from being made. The sooner a car accident lawyer is contacted, the quicker they will be able to build a strong case.
If you have been in a Chicago car accident and suffered from the car accident injuries or suffered any loss, Contact one of our car accident law firms today and speak with a qualified car accident lawyer to set up a free consultation.